Human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) is an infection that targets the body’s immune system, specifically the white blood cells called CD4 cells. HIV attacks these CD4 cells, thus hampering a person’s immunity against infections such as tuberculosis and various cancers. If HIV infection is not treated, the infection develops into a prolonged and a fatal condition-AIDS (acquired immune deficiency syndrome). HIV spreads through oral, vaginal or anal sexual contact. It also spreads through blood, blood factor products, breast milk and injection drug use.
HIV test involves a series of blood screenings including the one called the ELISA test.
What are the ELISA test and the HIV differentiation assay?
The enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA) also known as immunoassay (EIA), identifies HIV antibodies and antigens in the blood.
Antibodies are the proteins produced by the immune system that help body fight a disease. Body’s immune system produces antibodies against foreign substances, such as viruses. By contrast, antigens are foreign substance in the body that trigger an immune response.
For HIV diagnosis, ELISA test is the first test that a healthcare practitioner orders. In case the results are positive, an HIV differentiation assay confirmatory test is performed. The healthcare practitioner may also order an HIV genetic material detection test.
When is ELISA Test Recommended?
The ELISA test is advised if a person is exposed to HIV or is at a very high risk of contracting HIV. Those group include:
- People who intake psychotropic and narcotic drugs through injection
- People who are involved in unsafe sex or have multiple partners
- People who have sexually transmitted disease (STDs)
- People who receive frequent blood transfusions
People on their own may opt for HIV test if they are uncertain of their HIV status, even though they don’t fall into the high-exposure group. For people who are at high risk of HIV exposure, it is recommended to get tested on a regular basis.
What we offer
Labspec’s HIV AgAb ELISA kit comes with a multitude of features for effective HIV diagnosis.
The kit provides:
- Advanced diagnostic assay for Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV) infection with 100% Specificity and Sensitivity
- 4th Generation ELISA Kit to detect HIV p24 Antigen along with IgM, IgG and IgA antibodies to HIV 1 & 2
- Break apart wells to suits any workload requirements
- Convenient Pack Size of 96 Tests
- Simplified dilutions
- Adaptable to all ELISA Reader and Washer